Is Your Child Set?
Ready Set Go...to Kindergarten is working to help Elyria families prepare their children so students enter kindergarten ready to learn!
Will your child be ready to enter Kindergarten...
- had a well-child exam at a doctor’s office with immunizations.
- can run, skip, and hop on one foot.
- can use scissors to a cut a straight line.
- had dental, vision, AND hearing screenings.
- can focus on a task even when frustrated or distracted.
- can follow 2-step directions given by an adult.
- can sit AND listen to a story.
- shows confidence in own ability.
- knows his/her first AND last name (not just nickname).
- can identify letters in first name.
- can count to 20.
- can identify colors AND shapes.
Socially & Emotionally?
- plays well with other children.
- has positive relationships with adults AND children.
- can use words to describe basic feelings (happy, sad, mad, afraid, etc.).
- can accept the word “no”.
These are just a few of the 164 skills your child is expected to have mastered by time they enter kindergarten. There are several ways Ready Set Go…to Kindergarten can help your child and family. One of these ways is to help your child enroll in high quality early childhood education programs.
Ready Set Go…to Kindergarten participants childcare centers cover a wide range of family needs from infant and toddler care to special needs to half-day traditional preschool programming. Plus, you get the reassurance that the program is committed to providing quality early childhood education to prepare your child for kindergarten and beyond. There is also the added benefit of bridging the gap between early childhood and primary education because Ready Set Go…to Kindergarten is the endorsed early learning initiative of the Elyria City School District.
To help make your decision process as a parent a little easier out the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA) has created a document “Is this the Right Place for my Child?”. You can review the document below and its 38 research based indicators of quality child care. Use it when you are selecting an early education setting for your child or to see how Ready Set Go…to Kindergarten participants stack up.